Friday, May 23, 2014

Overcoming the World


I am pleased to present our very first guest article. Overcoming the World was written by Rachael Joy. You can read more about her on the Guest Contributors page. Without further adieu please enjoy Overcoming the World! 



                  One balmy spring afternoon, I was happily doing my eighty million pounds of homework, (well, being as happy as one can be while doing eighty million pounds of homework) when something truly life changing happened.
                  Two cars crashed right on the corner of my street. One car had t-boned the other right into a power pole that had formerly been straight but now was nearly on its side. I pulled out my phone and dialed 911. One police we notified, I ran out to see what I could do to help. Luckily, God had put some angels around those two cars, because no one was hurt- although someone should have been. The only true damage was done to the vehicle at fault.
                   

This incident it got me thinking.                                                                                                                            

                  Bad things happen every day, people die or get killed, there are horrid car wrecks, people get sick, or find that they have a fatal illness. Although it doesn’t affect me most of the time, it could affect my neighbors or my friends.
                  On the preverbal ‘switch side’ good things happen every day. Babies are born, people get married, grandparents get to hold their grandchildren, and jokes are told around a dinner table by a happy child. I’m sure that you could name a million good things that you have been blessed with!
                  It boggles my mind, how one family could be in a state of insane sadness and the family across the street could be having the best day of their life. 

What if it is all about time? 


                  For a couple days I thought about the question at hand. After many long hours of thinking, I came up with an answer:
                  What if it is all about time?
                  The book of Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 has a whole ton of different times. The ones that I will use are verse 1, 2, 3, 7b, and 8b. (I hope that you will spend some time looking the rest of them up for yourself.)
                  “A time to be born and a time to die” is the first one.
                  “A time to Kill and a time to heal” (I sincerely hope that you are never in a “time to kill”….)
                  “A time to love and a time for hate,” (Yes, there are two different times, they are not the same!)
                  “A time to be silent and a time to speak up,” (I think sometimes we get those two extremely mixed up.)
                  All of the different times in the chapter I have found to be true in my life, (Well, I haven’t killed anyone.)
                  If you are in a time to be born, then consider yourself celebrated with! That is awesome, but please, look for people who are going through a proverbial ‘rough patch’ and let them cry on your shoulder.
                  And if you are in “A time to Die.” I am so sorry! I have had those times, and let’s just say that I cried, a lot. Remember that Jesus will cry with you and that he promises that he will never leave you or forsake you. He would love to wrap his arms around you and say, “Peace Child, my peace I give you” (Or something along those lines) and all you have to do is let him whisper his plans and promises into your heart.

"I have overcome the world”

 

                  John16:33 says, “In this world there will be trouble, but take heart, for I have overcome the world.” It doesn’t say, “In this world there might be a little trouble but once you believe in me there won’t be any.” It says that there will be trouble but that he has overcome the world! All that you have to do is place your life in his hands. It will be a crazy ride, and bad things will still happen, “But take heart” for Jesus has overcome the world!”
                  That balmy afternoon changed how I will see things for the rest of my life. Not because of the homework that I was doing and it wasn’t the fact that I got an awesome paper out of it. It was the fact that I saw Jesus’ hand protecting and guarding both of the drivers and the passenger. It was the fact that those people were not in a “time to die” yet. It was the cool fact, that Jesus has truly “overcome the world!”

7 comments:

  1. Great article, Rachael. What led to your becoming a Guest Contributor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wes,
    Thank-you so much for commenting on this!! You totally just made my day! To answer your question, I found some of James work on the "Do Hard Things" webcite and i was, like, "wow, he is a good writter," so i started following his blog. I commented on something and he got back to me i asked him if i could write for him, and he said 'Yes". (Another YAY moment!)

    Blessing
    Rachael J.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Rachael.

      I am subscribed to the comment feed on James' first article on The Rebelution. The feedback has been enormously positive and the conversation that has spurred from the article has been beautiful to see. I'm very proud of James.

      I agree with you, Rachael, his writing is thoroughly enjoyable. It compliments his thoughtfulness, well. I'm so glad the two of you connected. I look forward to more contributions from you.

      Delete
    2. Rachael,

      It was my pleasure to publish your article! I was thrilled to discover that people were reading and enjoying my humble blog! It was a "Yay" moment for me when you asked to write for my blog! I love hearing other young people's ideas and thoughts on deep subjects. I was thrilled to be able to facilitate the publishing of your article!

      Signed,

      James W. Ware

      Delete
    3. Wes,

      thank you for your kind words. I'm glad that you are proud of me and that you have enjoyed the conversations sparked by my article of the Rebelution! I'm greatly humbled by all of the feedback.

      Signed,

      James W. Ware

      Delete
  3. thank you :)

    Rachael J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. James,
    Thank you so much for letting me write for you!! It was awesome to know that my writting was more then just random thoughts on a page, and that it was actually something that people would read and listen to!! I have had some of my friends come up and actally want to talk about some of the thoughts about time and what-not, which never ever woulf have happened, like, in the history of ever. Also, i am working with my parents on starting my own blog. (It might be awhile, but i'm trying!)

    I don't think that i can say 'thank-you' enough!
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! One of the reasons I blog is to interact with my readers. Don't hesitate to leave your thoughts or contact me with any comments, questions, or concerns. - James